On February 14, 2018 I started eating only fruit for the most part, with added raw salads and some other food items. I tried to track as much food, and my moods as well. I’m going to try to put this into a chart as it would be really cool to see the quantities as they shifted, the mood ups and downs in relation to the foods I was consuming. Stay tuned for this in a later post. It’s going to be awesome!
But in the meantime, these are the symptoms I experienced, the changes and adjustments I had to make over 20 days.
- My intense hunger/eat/bloat/pain cycle went away. Most doctors call this Irritable Bowel syndrome.
- I started having bowel movements at least once a day. (Unheard of for me in over 12 years since my bodybuilding days, being on antidepressants and having to rely on Magnesium Citrate to move my bowels!)
- The whites of my eyes got whiter
- My skin started to clear, less clogged pores
- I didn’t get much “eye goo” in the mornings
- I felt happy, balanced, more calm and present (without having to run to a yoga or meditation class to find my happy place)
- I became a more engaged, patient and happier mom with my kids.
- I went to reach for my morning antidepressants and for the first time I FELT in my body, a knowing that this was poison and not at all helping me heal the root cause of my depression! I had always wondered before, but never really had an energetic KNOWING!
- So two days later, I reduced my evening dose of Quetiapine to 2.5 mgs (from 3 mg). This felt so empowering, and I felt ready to do this given how my body was already healing in really cool ways)
- My energy was going through the roof, I was walking, doing yoga, workouts at the gym! After the irritability and depression days, my mood and energy would get even better than they were before I reduced my med dose!
- I got a really bloated upper stomach at times, especially at the very beginning. Aryana explained that my stomach wasn’t used to this amount of nourishment. It needed time to adapt and heal. While I used digestive essential oils (Eater’s Digest from Saje), licked drops of peppermint oil off my hand, and drank peppermint tea during this time to help, I did not have to use any over the counter stomach or digestion medicines. I was able to trust the process.
- I experienced a few nights of insomnia after reducing my Quetiopine. I fell asleep fine, but would wake up at 2 pm or so for a number of hours. I used this time to listen to Dr. Morse videos and learn more about Acidosis in the body and depression/anxiety! On another night, I wrote out 9 pages of blog posts that became this baby! 🙂
- I experienced extreme irritability then depression on day 2 and 3 after reducing my Questiopine dose. But as Anton noted, this was nothing that I hadn’t already experienced continuously over the last 10 years on medication! These days were hard for Anton, as he had to look after the kids and try to keep my space quiet for healing. But he is my greatest supporter and was willing to try to help me get better, even if it was just “one more thing I’m trying”.
- Lots. Of. Urgent. Bowel. Movements. But I just had to stay close to bathrooms.
- I got really sweaty and couldn’t seem to control my body temperature. Especially right after eating. Heat really aggravated me. So I took afternoon swims in the cooling ocean. It was my refuge! (So happy to be healing in a location with a cooling ocean!!)
- My vision got blurry on my down days.
- Headaches on my down days.
The Meh (annoying but easily overcome)
- I started to experience fatigue later on and saw darker shadowing around my eyes. I learned that I was deficient in Vitamin B12. (If you are interested in Energetics, check it out here on another post. Please be open minded.) So I got a supplement. No problem. This lifted over a few days.
- I went for a morning walk and my legs felt really heavy. I went for Reiki healing that afternoon at Nomad Yoga and my Reiki therapist confirmed a strange energy in my legs. I asked a new detoxing friend online (From The Fans of Dr. Morse FB Page) what this was and he said that I was not taking in enough calories. That if I kept not eating enough, I’d end up in bed in a week. Eek! So I added lots of fresh orange juice, avocado, coconut meat, coconut milk tumeric lattes and raw chocolate to my plate. And increased my fruit quantity of each meal. My weak legs went away and I got my energy back! (March 8, 2018 Update! My certified detox specialist Kaylie just updated me to let me know to be careful of having too many fat sources, as they may “weigh me down” emotionally during my detox. And I’m working hard right now to clear my antidepressants out of my system. So more juice and greens have been added.)
- Now that I know more about the body and how to heal it, a really intense fear developed. I was going to completely change the way that I eat, what I put in my body, what I put in my kids’ bodies, how I pack lunches, what foods we eat at birthdays and holiday celebrations!!??? What about my extended family? And friends? Sharing meals together!?! Was this all going to become weird and strained?? Sooooo uncomfortable! I need to let it go as it really freaks me out! Read my post on The Fear as I work through this.
Yet once again, as per usual every month or less, I got a good headache which always felt like it was coming from my upper neck and the base of my scull.
I’ve always done Chiropractic to ease my discomfort. But with no chiropractor in Hoi An, I went to see an Osteopath who reached out to my online plea for help. I saw Dr. Mathieu Tieum three times at the Luminary Life health center.
First Osteo appointment. Had good energy after, but went to bed really early. Woken up twice by the kids.
Busy day in Danang then the Hoi An Social Club event in the evening. Went to bed a little later than usual.
Couldn’t seem to wake up! (usually up between 6 & 6:30 am). Finally got up at 8:15. Napped all afternoon. Agitated all day. Went to bed at 7: 15 pm and slept uninterrupted.
Woke up at 6:00 am. Went for a walk. Sore back and left leg. Still agitated although less. Mild depression. Did a gym workout and then beach meditation. Helped a little.
Good mood and good energy. Sore from my workout. 3:30 pm ‘gut rot’ stomach pain and bloating. (ate at 7:30 am, then not again until 11:30 am when I had Pho soup. Then chocolate and peanut butter at 2:30 pm)
The magic happened on the third visit.
While Dr. Mathieu did work with movement of my physical body, he also helped me connect and ask my highest self what it truly wanted. He had me focus on a happy place activity and for me that’s hiking. I saw and felt myself hiking through dense trees, on a blue sky day. Moving steadily on a mild incline, well marked trail.
Dr. Mathieu asked me what seeds he could help me plant, and what words they would be. After some struggle and nothing, I saw the words Vibrant, Flow, and then a few seconds later Aligned appeared. As though it was saying “wait for me!!” ha ha!
After this, for the first time in my meditation journey, I was able to just see light radiating around the middle of my forehead and in between my eyes (what is often taught as the “third eye”). I had no mind chatter or visualizations at all. So I was able to focus on the light, let it get stronger, pull back, then focus on it again. I had control! It felt amazing; like pure love. And a radiant smile formed on my face all by itself.
Next I saw a blue light swirling through my whole body, part by part. It started in my head, swirled down my neck, into both shoulders, my chest and heart, stomach, down both legs where it hung out a bit in my knees, to my feet and then gone. I noted that it stayed extra long in my head, jaw, bowels, cervix and knees.
After this, I couldn’t believe what had just happened. It was magical. Dr. Mathieu and I chatted about everything very excitedly. I felt so light and ecstatic. And my headache (my initial reason for seeking treatment) was long gone.
Gut Healing Advice
Dr. .Mathieu also gave me a recommendation for healing my gut flora. He suggested that I get a small amount of natural clay, put it in a cup of water and let it settle over night. In the morning on an empty stomach, give it a little swirl, then drink the water on top of the clay. Next add more water and let it sit again until the next day.
He also recommended that I try fasting. I really know nothing about this, so I will need to explore further! Hmmm!
Sadly, Dr. Mathieu left Hoi An to travel onward a few days later, but I felt like he gave me the tools I need to move forward.
So now, it’s up to me to explore what all that meant, and how I can give my soul the flow, vibrancy and alignment it wants!
Thank you Dr. Mathieu! I am so grateful for the healing gift you gave me!
(Dr. Mathieu Tieum also practices in Paris, France. I recommend that you look him up if you’re there!)
- Watched every video I could find by Dr. Robert Morse on Depression, Anxiety and other conditions of interest. (He can be intense at times and go off on tangents, but just ignore this and pay attention to his knowledge and experiences).
- Joined the Fans of Dr. Robert Morse ND on Facebook.
- Posted a question on this Fans Of… forum. “Has anyone healed their depression and safely gotten off antidepressants doing a detoxification? And using Dr. Morse’s theory about getting your body alkaline?” I received tons of replies from people that had the same question, plus many that are currently healing themselves or have done it! Whoooooooot!
- Continued eating just fruit, one kind at a time, in mass quantities at each meal and snack.
“Can’t Touch This!…” Duh nuh nuh nuh (M.C. Hammer!)
This information and sensations I was collecting on eating plant-based was insane! I had to start trying this!
I’m a jumper-inner, so without any further information, of course I started a fruit-cleanse eating only fruit, drinking lots of water and fresh coconut water. I was feeling AMAZING! Great energy, clear headed, happier, more patient.
But I definitely left my husband Anton ungrounded, feeling insecure that all of a sudden I was shifting the floor of my entire family. Rocking the “how we eat” boat. Affecting my husband and my kids. Scary!
What was the best way to try this and help the whole family learn more?
At this point fear started to creep in around the thought of eating Vegan, and turning away from meat and dairy. The really deep seated, uncomfortable sensation that you are going down a rabbit hole and you can neither dismiss everything you are learning, but neither can you go back.
The biggest fears for myself and my partner Anton were around eating with friends and celebrating holidays. Ham or Turkey at Easter and Thanksgiving. Christmas dinners. Burgers and rib bbq’s in the summer. Would we now be considered weirdos and cause discomfort in the whole family? Would we actually enjoy eating a vegan or vegetarian diet?
While I can usually go for quite a while on a new way of eating, Anton had a quick fear to come up around missing out on tastes and textures. And foods that were common and a comfort for him.
Another big question for me was around my body image and body type. Most vegetarians or vegans I have met to date did not appear to have much lean muscle mass. Over the years, I have enjoyed building muscle, feeling strong, and having a leaner build. Was it possible that the body was capable of eating a plant based diet, AND having a strong, lean body? Another question for the universe that I hoped I would find answers to.
Despite this gnawing discomfort, I had all these new questions and I wanted to learn more.
I’ve also learned from many people in my life, that all of our emotions really come down to two emotions when you ask yourself enough questions: Love and Fear (Check out The Work of Byron Katie) . So as with other fears in my life, I choose to move away from all these fears, trust that everything is going to be fine (as everything really has always been fine!) and keep moving towards the foods, people and experiences (including eating experiences) that make me feel love and loved.